Today Longueville is back in the hands of the O'Callaghan clan whose forebears were originally deprived of it by Cromwell in 1650. It was returned to the O'Callaghans in 1938, when the Longfields sold the property to Senator William O'Callaghan. Then in 1969 Michael O'Callaghan (son of the Senator) and his wife Jane first opened Longueville's doors to the public as a simple Bed & Breakfast. Michael being a farmer oversaw the 500 acre farm surrounding Longueville by day and at night helped serve wines in the restaurant. In the meantime Jane opened The Presidents' Restaurant at Longueville in the early 1970's. Together Michael and Jane developed a huge reputation both nationally and internationally for excellent food and warm hospitality. They had five children together, their eldest son William taking over the running of the property from his parents. Sadly Michael passed away in 2010 but Jane is still very much involved in Longueville.
It’s a place of history, yet Longueville has moved with the times. Maintaining and modernising the house has been a labour of love for third-generation owners William O’Callaghan and his wife Aisling, your hosts. The couple met while students of Hotel Management & Business Studies at DIT Cathal Brugha Street in the late 1980's. Both worked in small, boutique hotel properties in the UK, France and Ireland before settling down to marry in 1993. They have two children, Elena and Michael who attend schools locally. In addition to the welcoming committee in Longueville there are six dogs, a flock of sheep, saddleback pigs galore, a gaggle of geese and laying hens!